June 15, 2009

Father's Day Tile

I didn't know what to get my dad for Father's Day this year. Since he was excited for me to get my Cricut - he said he would "test it out for me" when it arrived since it was being delivered to his house - I decided to make something for him using my new Cricut...

Father's Day Tile
Cricut Cartridges: Don Juan, Going Places

The heavy marble tile measures 12x12 and I purchased it at Home Depot. I used Don Juan cartridge to cut the letters out of brown vinyl. This was also my first time using vinyl! Since I didn't have transfer tape, I did a "kiss cut" for the letters, meaning they only cut through the first layer and not through the whole vinyl, so I can peel the letters off like a sticker. I carefully aligned them onto the tile. For the camera image, I had my friend cut one from Makin' the Grade since it wasn't working on my Create (she has the original Cricut). The camera was supposed to have lines around the flash to look like it had just taken a picture. It was not successful without transfer tape =( The thin lines kept bending and stretching too much, and in the end, just didn't work =( So the new camera was cut from Going Places... AND I used transfer tape! Well, a substitute anyway - contact paper! That I had this time and didn't realize I could use! It made putting the image SO much easier! Needless to say, after all the hard work, my dad liked his gift!

Interesting in seeing my dad's work? Click here to go to his website.

No comments:

Post a Comment