December 16, 2009

It's Only a Year Late...

...but it's okay when you come up with a crafty way to display your family portrait!

We took our first formal picture with our new addition last year, courtesy of my dad. It was also the photo for our ChrisTmas cards that year. I never got it enlarged (maybe in the near future), but I did want a crafty way to display the picture. I saw this idea from the Christmas with the Cricut blog... awesome site for crafty holiday projects! Since I knew what paper and color scheme I wanted to do, I wanted a silver frame. The only shadowbox frames they had the craft store came in white, black, or oak, but I wanted silver since it would look better with the picture. I bought an 8" x 10" frame in white, and painted it with gray acrylic paint (took 3 coats), then used glittery acrylic paint over it to get a silver effect, then coated it with glossy spray. After it was all dry, I added crystal rhinestones I got from the dollar section of the craft store to give it some "bling." This was "Phase 1."

In between waiting for the paint to dry from Phase 1, I started on Phase 2. For the inside of the frame, I used a sheet from Stampin' Up!'s Christmas Cocoa Speciality Designer Series Paper that had a flocked (felt) effect. I used Tombow MultiPurpose Adhesive and adhered it onto the cardboard part that came with the frame, then used a hobby blade to trim excess. For the ribbon, I measured about 2" down and used my hobby blade to cut slits to thread the ribbon through. The layered piece for the picture measures 4-¼" x 6-¼" since my picture is 4" x 6".

Corner of frame

Phase 3: On the glass, I cut out "2008" from Winter Woodland at 1-¾" using the shadow effect and etched it on. Then I used red vinyl and cut it out again using the normal feature and layered it over the etched part.

Etched 2008

And Phase 4 is assembly. Here's the frame in its entirety:

Family Shadowbox Frame

Stamps: none
Cardstock: Real Red
Ink: none
Cricut Cartridges: Winter Woodland
Etc: Christmas Cocoa Designer Series Paper; Real Red Striped Grosgrain Ribbon; Tombow MultiPurpose Adhesive; Hobby Blade; Armour Etch; Red Vinyl; Rhinestone Stickers

No comments:

Post a Comment